The Rio del Sol Kiwanis Club of Farmington was chartered on May 5, 2013. The chartering ceremony was held at St. Clair’s Restaurant with 31 Charter Members on June 22, 2013 with Bob Brooks agreeing to be the club’s First President. Attending from the Southwest District were Executive Director Rose Ann Dodson, Past DG Greg Dodson, and Dist Gov Jim Court right. The first meeting location for the new club was at My Big Fat Greek Restaurant. The club meeting location soon moved to Porters Smokehouse Restaurant (formally Zebadiah’s) on 20th St.
- May 5, 2013. The new club’s first fundraiser was “A Shopping Spree” at Farmer’s Market in Flora Vista (all you could put in a shopping basket in 5 minutes). The event was held in late July and netted $600.
- Dining With the Dead, Jill and Paul McQueary: Coordinators. San Juan County’s earliest pioneers were portrayed at Greenlawn Cemetery on September 21, 2013. Tickets for the event sold out prior to the event.
- Kiwanis Clothes for Kids, Chairman-Bob Brooks: was formerly a project of another service club, was abandoned by that organization, and was adopted by Rio del Sol Kiwanis. The first Kiwanis Clothes for Kids was held the first Wednesday and Thursday of November 2013 at Target. Kiwanis helped 319 underprivileged San Juan County elementary boys and girls with $100 each in clothes, shoes, socks, underwear, etc.
- Kiwanis Coats for Kids, Chairman: Robert David. Approximately 700 new and gently used coats were donated to help keep San Juan County boys and girls warm during the cold winter months. Over 400 coats were distributed at the Fire Station at the bottom of Harper Hill in November 2014.
- Don’t Meth With Us,Paul McQueary-President. DMWU is an anti-drug awareness program for all 5th grade students in San Juan County and north eastern Navajo Reservation. The Don’t Meth With Us Foundation partners with Rio del Sol Kiwanis.